VISITING RULES AND REGULATIONS
VISITOR ORIENTATION PACKET
General Visitor rules
1. Visitors shall be required to present a picture ID to include one of the following:
A. Valid driver’s license with picture.
B. Valid Utah identification card with picture
C. Valid passport with picture
D. Armed forces identification card with picture.
E. Identification cards issued by the U.S. Department of Justice-Immigration and Naturalization Service.
F. Valid School identification card with picture (for ages 12-16 only).
G. Children 12 years of age and older must have a picture ID.
*******The absence of identification or other information or knowledge from which identification can be verified will be cause for denial of visits until such verification is obtained.*****
2. Visitors will check in at the visitation desk located at the visitation desk located in the front lobby. Picture ID must be presented to the Corrections Officer at this time.
3. Visitors shall be given a copy of Visitor Rules prior to their initial visit:
A. The visitor shall read the visiting rules and ask visiting staff any questions.
B. Visitors shall read and sign the Visitor Consent Form attached to this packet, indicating that hey have read and understood the rules prior to their second visit.
C. Visitors shall sign that they will comply with all visitor rules and orders given by the Correctional Staff.
4. Visitors not in compliance with visiting rules will be warned and/or have their visit terminated.
5. These rules apply without exception to all visitors.
6. Visitors will only have access to those areas specifically designated for visitors.
7. All visitors under the age of 18 must visit with a parent, legal guardian or grandparent.
8. Revisions to the Visitation Rules and Regulations given by the Department Staff shall be posted in the visiting area 30 days prior to the implementation of such rules.
1. The inmate must be here for 72 hours before they may have a visit. The visitation officer will count 72 hours from the time of booking.
2. A visitor must be on the inmate’s current visiting list prior to visiting that particular inmate.
- You may not go back to the visiting booth until instructed by the visiting staff.
- Children are not allowed to use the rest rooms without adult supervision.
- Any visitor found in possession of contraband shall be detained and the matter referred to a supervisor. In addition, the visitor may have their visiting privileges suspended, restricted or revoked and their name removed from the inmate’s visiting.
*****For the purpose of this rule, contraband is defined as anything not authorized by the Box Elder County Sheriff Department****
- Any visitor found in possession of or under the influence of drugs or alcohol may be subject to arrest.
- A visit may be terminated for foul and abusive language/conduct or refusal to comply with the Box Elder County Jail Operation rules, policies and procedures.
- Visitors with babies shall bring no more than one bottle (clear plastic) per baby into the visiting area. ALL BABY CARRIERS will be inspected by the visitation officer. This means the baby will be removed from the carrier and all clothing, blankets, etc., will be gone through before entry to visiting area. During the visit, the carrier will be placed up against the wall on the floor directly behind the booth that the parent is visiting in. The child will be held by the parent during the course of the visit and returned to the carrier when the visit is terminated. AT NO TIME will children of any age be allowed to sit on the table in front of the window at the visitation booth Failure to comply will terminate visit.
- Visiting children’s BEHAVIOR is the responsibility of the adults they are with. Sanitation problems caused by the children shall be taken care of immediately.
- Visitors cannot bring cameras or audio/video recording devices, pagers or cell phones into the visiting area.
- All property must be placed into a locker; the visitation officer will give you a token to lock your belongings in a locker.
- Visitors must be present 20 minutes before the visit starts to present ID to the officer and secure belongings in lockers, ets. Visitors who do not arrive early will be scheduled at the next available visiting time. Please see attached copy of visiting schedule.
- Inmates cannot remain in visiting for longer than 30 minutes at one time. They can leave and come back twice in one day for a total of one hour, but they must leave the visitation booth after 30 minutes. All inmates are placed into and taken out of visitation at the same time.
- Once the visitation officer lets you know your visit is over you must leave immediately.
- For security reasons, visitors must not wear clothing in any way resembles jail issued inmate clothing.
- All visitors shall be modestly dressed to be permitted access to the visiting area. No bare midriffs, see through blouses, tube or tank tops, sleeve-less shirts, stretch pants are allowed. Dresses, shorts, skirts, split skirts, or culottes must touch the bottom of the kneecap. Tight, suggestive or sexually revealing attire is forbidden. All outer garments such as hats, hoods, scarves, shawls, sweaters, coats, gloves, earmuffs, vests, overshoes, etc, will be stored in the lockers provided until after the visit. Visitors in violation of this dress code will be sent home to change before they can visit. The Box Elder County Sheriff Department will have the final word in all matters of dress.
- Limitations on length and frequency of visits and on the number of persons permitted to visit at one time will be imposed to avoid overcrowding or the unequal allocation of visiting time or for other compelling reasons.
- Inmates will be allowed two weekly 30 minute visits with up to 2 visitors at one time. This 30 minute policy will be strictly enforced because any extension of this time denies other inmates their visiting time. Failure of an inmate to comply will result in loss of visiting privileges.
- Visitors and inmates are not allowed to sit or stand on the visiting tables or chairs. Sitting or standing on the tables and chairs will result in your visit to be terminated.
- Visitors must keep their feet off of the walls tables. The visitor must sit on the chair during the visit.
- Visitors and inmates are not allowed to touch or kiss the lexan window. Doing so will result in your visit to be terminated.
- The noise level must stay at a minimum. It is not necessary to yell in the visiting booths, if everyone will speak at a regular tone of voice you will all be able to hear each other just fine. Otherwise if you yell during your visit it causes everyone else to yell and no one can hear. Yelling and screaming can cause your visit to be terminated.
PROCESSING VISITORS ENTERING VISITING AREA
- Visitors shall leave their identification at the visiting desk during the course of the visit.
- Visitation Officer shall verify that a visitor is on an inmate’s approved visiting list.
- Identification will be returned at the end of the visit after the visitor has retrieved their belongings from the locker.
- The visitor list shall remain valid for the time the inmate is in this facility. The inmates may update their lists at the first of each month. When an inmate is released their list will be deleted.
(To check to see if you are on an inmate’s visitation list call 435-734-3830) Tuesday - Saturday 10-5
- Visitors must notify the visiting staff in writing of any change of address of approved visitors within ten days of new address. Failure to do so can result in visiting privileges being revoked.
COMMISSARY MONEY FOR INMATES
- All commissary money must be brought in on regular visiting days and times only. The days and times of visiting are as follows: Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00 am to 5 pm and Saturdays from 9 am to 4 pm. Money will not be collected at any other time.
You can send mail addressed to the inmate to
Box Elder Co Jail
C/O (Inmate Name)
P.O. Box 888
Brigham City, UT
You can include a money order with the inmate’s incoming mail.
NO CASH PLEASE!
Effective March 2, 2017
THURSDAY, FRIDAY, SATURDAY, SUNDAY:
First visit will begin at 9:00 AM. There will be an hour break at 12:00 PM until 1:00 PM. The last visit for each day will begin at 5:20 PM.
Visiting starts on the half hour. (9:00, 9:30, 10:00, 10:30 etc.) If the visitor is here at 2:35, their visiting time will not begin until 3:00. We suggest you come in at least 15 minutes earlier than the time at which you wish to visit.
PLEASE NOTE THESE RESTRICTIONS:
Every Thursday and the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month, you may visit at the times listed above.
Friday, Saturday and the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Sundays you may visit at the times listed above.
The week starts on Thursday and ends on Sunday. All inmates must be here 72 hours before they may have a visit. For example: If an inmate is booked into the jail on a Monday, the inmate will not be able to visit until Friday. The inmate shall be responsible for getting the visitation list turned in.
ALL VISITORS MUST HAVE A PICTURE I.D. AND BE ON THE INMATE’S VISITING LIST IN ORDER TO BE ALLOWED TO VISIT. THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS!
In the event of overcrowding, your visit may be pushed ahead to the next time slot. However, any overcrowding issues occurring after 5pm may be turned away to return another day at the discretion of the Visitation Deputy.
VISITING MAY BE CLOSED DOWN AT ANY TIME FOR JAIL SECURITY! ****