Marriage Licenses
Skip Navigation Website Accessibility

Marriage License Division

Where to apply for a Marriage License
Box Elder County Clerk's Office
01 S. Main St.
Brigham City, Utah 84302
(435) 734-3393
Hours: Weekdays 8:00 am- 5:00 pm
Box Elder County Clerk's Office has marriage license records back to 1886.  For assistance in searching for a license, please call our office at  (435) 734-3393.

How to Apply

Marriage licenses are issued by appointment. 
Please call 435-734-3393 to schedule an appointment.

Both parties must appear at the County Clerk's Office with proof of age, proper identification and pay a license fee of $ 30.00. The license fee is non-refundable and includes two certified copies.  The marriage license application may be filled out and printed by clicking on the link below.  Both the Bride and Groom need to fill out an application and bring them to the Clerk's Office.  If either the Bride or Groom has been divorced within the last 6 months, a certified copy of the divorce decree must be presented when applying.

You may print the application and bring it with you.  

                                                                                                                  MARRIAGE LICENSE APPLICATION

When to Apply

When both parties appear and present the required documentation, a marriage license is issued and becomes effective immediately. Marriage licenses may be used immediately upon purchase, but must be used within 30 days from the date of purchase at which time the license expires. Refunds and extensions cannot be granted.

A license issued in Box Elder County may be used in any county in the State of Utah.
Picture identification with the date of birth (i.e. driver's license) is required by all persons.

Minors Requesting a Marriage License

(16 or 17 year olds) If at the time of applying for a license the applicant is a minor, and not before married, a license may not be issued without the signed consent of the minor's father, mother, or guardian given in person to the clerk; however:  if the parents of the minor are divorced, consent shall be given by the parent having legal custody of the minor as evidenced by an oath of affirmation to the clerk.  If the parents of the minor are divorced and have been awarded joint custody of the minor, consent shall be given by the parent having physical custody of the minor the majority of the time. If a minor is not in the custody of a parent, the legal guardian shall provide consent and provide proof of guardianship.  The minor and the parent or guardian shall obtain a written authorization to marry from: a judge of the court exercising juvenile jurisdiction where either party resides or a court commissioner as permitted by rule of the Judicial Council.

Minors under the age of 16 are not permitted to marry.

NOTE: The judge shall require that both parties to the marriage complete premarital counseling. This requirement may be waived if premarital counseling is not reasonably available.

The Judge or Court Commissioner may not issue a written authorization to the minor if the age difference between both parties to the marriage is more than seven years.

Individuals requesting a marriage license must bring ONE of the following:
* Valid Driver's License;
* Birth Certificate, plus a secondary identification with photo (school identification or work badge etc.)
* Utah Identification Card;
* Passport;
* A marriage license may be issued at the age of 18 years without parental consent.

First Cousins Applying for a Marriage License

First cousins may marry if they are 65 years of age or older. If they are between 55 and 64 years of age, the district court in the county where they reside must find that either person is incapable of reproduction in order for them to be married.


Any persons related to each other within and not including the fifth degree of consanguinity, except for cousins as stated above, may not be married.

Certified Copies

Additional certified copies of your marriage license are available upon request in-person or by mail.
If requesting by mail, please include:
* Name of person requesting copy
* Address of requestor                                                     
* Name of applicants with the same name used by the woman at the time of application.
* Date and place of marriage
* License Number, if possible
* $ 2.00 per uncertified copy
* $ 6.00 per certified copy