Junior Market Swine 2017
Jeff Kent, Director
257-5278, 279-0145 (cell)
Chris Sorensen, Assistant
257-6419, 279-3134 (cell)
Wednesday, August 23
Weigh-in………………6 – 9 a.m.
Thursday, August 24
Junior Swine Show……..7:30 a.m.
Fitting and Showing to follow market show
Saturday, August 25
Livestock Sale…………..9:00 a.m.
Sale order: steers, hogs, lambs
Blue Red White
$ 6.00 $ 4.00 $ 2.00
1. Exhibitors must be 4-H or FFA members of Box Elder County and must abide by the general rules.
2. All hogs unloaded at the fairgrounds must go to slaughter.
3. All market hogs must have been owned, tagged and fed in the county by the exhibitor for at least 60 days prior to the show. 4-H or FFA members may tag up to three hogs for the Box Elder County Fair. Families with registered 4-H and/or FFA members with fewer than three hogs per exhibitor may tag an alternate/family project animal as long as that project is used by immediate family members (brothers or sisters). If any member has three hogs tagged, he or she will not be permitted to use an alternate/family project.
4. Hogs must be tagged by the end of June.
5. Market hogs must weigh between 225 and 290 pounds. No pigs will be accepted until Wednesday morning at 6:00 a.m.
6. All hogs must be washed and tags must be readable at the time of weigh-in.
7. Swine Carcass Contest: All market hogs will be evaluated at the weigh-in for back fat and loin-eye area using a specialized electronic scanner. Winners will be notified prior to the carcass contest meeting. Cost of scanning will be borne by exhibitor. Premiums for the carcass contest will be paid as follows: first place - $125 and trophy; second place, $120; third place, $115; fourth place, $110; fifth place, $105; sixth place, $100; seventh place, $95; eighth place, $90; ninth place, $85; tenth place, $80; 11th place, $70; 12th place, $65; 13th place, $60; 14th place, $55; 15th place, $50; 16th place, $45; 17th place, $40; 18th place, $35; 19th place, $30; 20th place, $25.
8. Fitting and Showmanship Contest
a. Open to all FFA and 4-H swine members exhibitors at the county fair.
b. There will be four classes: 3rd – 5th grade (novice), 3rd – 5th grade, 6th - 8th grade, and 9th - 12th grade as of January 1 of current year
c. The showmanship classes will be held immediately following the selection of the grand and reserve champion hogs.
d. Fitting equipment will be furnished by the exhibitor if the judge requests exhibitor to fit their animal.
e. Awards: 1st - Trophy & $15, 2nd - $14, 3rd - $13, 4th - $12, 5th - $11.
9. Swine Display Contest
a. A trophy will be presented to the best display.
b. The displays can be done by an individual, family, club or chapter.c. The display will be judged on cleanliness of the pens, organization of materials and overall effect of the display.
d. The displays must be finished by 12:00 noon on Thursday.