2018 Junior Market Swine
Jeff Kent, Director
257-5278, 279-0145 (cell)
Chris Sorensen, Assistant
257-6419, 279-3134 (cell)
Wednesday, August 22
Weigh-in………………6 – 9 a.m.
Thursday, August 23
Junior Swine Show……..7:30 a.m.
Fitting and Showing to follow market show
Saturday, August 25
Livestock Sale…………..8:45 a.m.
Sale order: hogs, steers, lambs
Blue Red White
$ 6.00 $ 4.00 $ 2.00
1. Exhibitors must be 4-H or FFA members of Box Elder County and must abide by the general rules.
2. The Box Elder County Hog Show is a terminal show. All hogs unloaded at the fairgrounds cannot be taken home. Under the direction of the directors they must be sent to market or harvested by a licensed butcher the day the animal leaves the fairgrounds.
3. All market hogs must have been owned, tagged and fed in the county by the exhibitor for at least 60 days prior to the show. 4-H or FFA members may tag up to three hogs for the Box Elder County Fair. Families with registered 4-H and/or FFA members with fewer than three hogs per exhibitor may tag an alternate/family project animal as long as that project is used by immediate family members (brothers or sisters). If any member has three hogs tagged, he or she will not be permitted to use an alternate/family project.
4. Hogs must be tagged by the assigned tagging date.
5. Market hogs must weigh between 230 and 290 pounds. No hogs will be accepted until Wednesday morning at 6 a.m.
6. All hogs must be washed and tags must be readable at the time of weigh-in.
7. Fitting and Showmanship Contest
a. Open to all FFA and 4-H swine member exhibitors at the county fair.
b. There will be four classes: 3rd – 5th grade (novice), 3rd – 5th grade, 6th - 8th grade, and 9th - 12th grade as of January 1st of current year
c. Showmanship classes will be held immediately following the selection of the grand and reserve champion hogs.
d. Fitting equipment will be furnished by the exhibitor if the judge requests exhibitor to fit their animal.
e. Awards: 1st - Trophy & $15, 2nd - $14, 3rd - $13, 4th - $12, 5th - $11.
8. BEJL 2018 Market Hog Carcass Contest
An alternate market hog that is properly tagged by a 4-H or FFA exhibitor for the Box Elder County Junior Livestock Show may be entered into the Market Hog Carcass Contest. Participation is on a volunteer basis. The Market Hog Committee will arrange for the hogs to be sent to one specific packing house for the contest. To qualify for the contest, the hog must weigh between 230 and 290 pounds. If the Carcass Hog weight is under or over the qualifying weight the animal must go to slaughter immediately and will not be allowed to participate in the carcass contest.
Exhibitors are responsible for finding their own buyer for the Market Hog that is being entered into the competition. All payments, orders, and arrangements with the packing house must be made by the exhibitor and/or the purchaser.
Purchaser information must be presented by the exhibitor to the Market Hog Committee before the animal crosses the scale for verification before entry is allowed in the contest.
Carcass data actuals will be measured and calculated on all Market Hogs entered into the carcass contest. Based on calculated results, the winners will be awarded premium prize money.
9. Swine Display Contest
a. A trophy will be presented to the best display.
b. The displays can be done by an individual, family, club or chapter.
c. The display will be judged on cleanliness of the pens, organization of materials and overall effect of the display.
d. Displays must be finished by noon on Thursday.
10. With the hog show increasing in popularity, space is limited. If single hogs are penned and it becomes necessary to put two or more hogs in the pen, it will be the responsibility of the exhibitors to cordon off the pens as necessary to accommodate the need. Unwillingness to follow the direction of the hog directors will result in disciplinary action with removal of your animal from the show.