Please install Flash® and turn on Javascript.



Selectmen 1856-1896


Box Elder County was established by act of the Territorial Legislature in 1856. Governor Brigham Young signed the enabling legislation which provided for various county offices, including an administrative unit referred to as a County Court. The court consisted of three selectmen elected by popular vote and a probate judge appointed by the governor of the territory. The probate judges usually served as chairman of the court.
In 1896, the position of probate judge as a part of the county governing body was eliminated. The County Court became the County Commission and members of the Commission were designated as County Commissioners, whereas, prior to 1896, they were called selectmen. The County Commission selects one of the three members of the Commission to serve as chairman.


Name

John D. Rees
Dwight Harding
Alvin Nichols
Samuel Smith
George W. Ward
James Pett
Lucius A. Snow
William L. Watkins
Peter Nebeker
John D. Peters
P.F. Madsen
Carl Jensen
E.O. Wilcox
T.W. Brewerton
R. H. Baty
William Lowe
Christian Olson
H.M. Jarivs
Thomas Blackburn
Jonah Mathias
Lars F. Johnson
Thomas D. Pett
                              Term

1856-1866
1856-1857
1856-1856
1864-1865
1866-1887
1880
1880-1882

1887-1889
1888-1889
1880-1880
1882-1889
1892
1890-1891
1890-1892
1882-1886
1893-1894
1893-1894
1892-1894
1894-1896
1895-1896
1895-1896


The Office of probate judge was abandoned February 17, 1896, Jonah Mathias was appointed Chairman of the County Court (County Commission). Minutes, Box Elder County, Book 2 p.156