Box Elder County has an opening for a full-time Benefits, Payroll, and Wellness Technician. The Benefits, Payroll, and Wellness Technician performs advanced benefits, payroll, and wellness functions for the Human Resources department.
Those interested in this position must be a high school graduate with 2-5 years minimum experience in payroll and benefits administration. College level courses in business administration or accounting are preferred. Applicant must be accurate, concise and detail oriented and have strong analytical skills.
A copy of the job description is posted at www.boxeldercounty.org/benefits-payroll-technician.htm. Interested parties should submit an application to Box Elder County Human Resources by 5:00 p.m. Friday, October 31, 2014. Applications can be obtained at www.boxeldercounty.org.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Department: Human Resources
Effective Date: October 2014
Grade No.: 22
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Performs advanced benefits, payroll and wellness functions for the Human Resources department.
- Works under the guidance and general direction of the Human Resources Manager.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- Performs complex clerical duties following established procedures in the following areas: group health and life insurance, benefits plans, record maintenance, and wellness activities. Involves frequent contact and communication and a working knowledge of benefits, policies and procedures.
- Coordinates human resources communications and procedures to initiate benefits such as 401k, pension, medical, dental, life, and long term disability insurances and COBRA; assists Human Resources Manager with administering employee benefits programs.
- Assists with arranging and conducting employee benefit enrollment meetings and Open Enrollment roll out. Informs employees of benefit plans, changes, employee options and enrollment process.
- Distribute benefit supplies such as employee benefits booklets, enrollment forms, provider directories, etc.
- Explains various aspects of benefits, policies and procedures, and state and federal guidelines to assist Human Resources Manager in making benefits related decisions in the workplace.
- Answers employee questions regarding benefit coverage and billing issues in a friendly and timely manner; coordinates with third party administrators when needed to facilitate enrollment meetings and related events.
- Submits data and documents to appropriate vendors.
- Initiate record keeping and retrieval methods in compliance with government regulations.
- Uses available IT systems to gather data, compile reports and submit metrics as needed.
- Assists Human Resources Manager with implementation and maintenance of benefits programs (i.e. Wellness programs, Recognition Programs).
- Provides administrative support to the Human Resources Manager on projects as needed.
- Reviews employee time and attendance reports for accuracy and completeness, makes necessary corrections; ensures that HRIS contains correct employee information including social security number and job title.
- Coordinates the I-9 process including the completion of the employer section of the form, verifying new hire eligibility, follow up on expired work authorizations and ensure that I-9 forms are completed and maintained in accordance with county policy and INS regulations.
- Processes payroll; inputs and records employee hours; files timesheets; prepares payroll; updates employee withholdings; maintains computerized payroll records showing pay rates, withholding allowances, benefits deductions, etc.; maintains record of work time, vacation leave, sick leave, and comp time accrual and usage; prepares and distributes leave record reports.
- Assists employees with leave requests and ensure that proper paperwork is submitted when departing/returning from leave.
- Monitors employees on leave, receive/track benefits payments, produce reports of employees on leave and status.
- Serve as Affirmative Action compiler by posting state and federal posters required by law in appropriate locations.
- Ensure the county is in compliance with State and Federal laws regarding Payroll.
- Works with the Human Resources Manager and third party administrators to design health promotion programs based on clinical data and information collected via surveys.
- Assists in developing a health and wellness strategy with the focus of improving employee health.
- Develops health awareness of employees and encourages them to make healthy choices.
- Develops and implements all fitness/wellness related activities.
- Measures employee participation in Wellness Premium Program; implements and maintains an accurate wellness record for each employee.
- Identifies training needs arising from strategic agendas and assists with selection of appropriate vendors.
- Assists with Wellness presentations; coordinates on-site vendors for wellness program; sends reminders for trainings/workshops.
- Supports the implementation of policies and procedures regarding employee wellness.
- Assists with gathering data for reports that demonstrate program engagement and participation.
- Education and Experience
- Minimum 2-5 years in payroll and benefits administration. (College level courses in business administration or accounting are preferred.)
- Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Office Suite. Kronos experience preferred.
- Knowledge of computerized payroll and working knowledge of bookkeeping, accounting, and budgeting systems; must be accurate, concise, and detail-oriented; must have strong analytical skills.
- Ability to perform a variety of complex and confidential functions requiring considerable exercise of independent judgment; ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing; thorough knowledge of grammar, spelling, punctuation.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies and the public; ability to act as a liaison between other offices and departments.
- Knowledge of County, State and Federal regulations and programs concerning employment law; ability to implement, interpret and monitor rules to ensure compliance and/or conformance to County, State and Federal laws.
- Thorough knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Must be bondable.
Must have valid Utah Driver License.
No Criminal record/arrests or convictions.
Formal application; reference check; interview with hiring authority; background check.