2. All market steers must have been owned and fed in the county by the exhibitor at least 140 days previous to the show (unless circumstances do not permit with director’s approval). Individual ownership shall be indicated at tagging time which will be approximately the last weekend of March. 4-H or FFA members may tag up to three steers for the Box Elder County Fair and an alternate.
3. Because of the ethical and legal standards demanded by the packers and consumers, any shots given 45 days prior to the show need to be approved by the beef director.
4. A state brand inspector will be onsite when steers are checked in at the fair. After you have weighed in your steer and bedded him down in a stall, you need to take your brand inspection or ownership papers to the auction barn to be checked in. (A BILL OF SALE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE AS PROOF OF OWNERSHIP.)
5. A rope halter will be provided and needs to be left on the steer at the close of the fair.
6. Cattle weights: Market steers are to weigh a minimum of 1,225 pounds at the fair weigh-in.
7. Steers that appear to grade lower than select will be sifted at the time of weighing and judging.
8. Any steer with stub horns longer than 2 inches will be sifted.
9. Steers must be securely tied while at the fairgrounds.
10. Steers will be assigned a stall on a first come first serve basis by calling Karleen Ramsdell, 435-452-1166. Please be courteous and do not remove/move fitting stands which are already in place. Shade canopies are not provided by the fair.
11. No temporary petitions between steers will be allowed.
12. BEEF CARCASS CONTEST: Carcass data will be calculated on all applicable steers. Winners will be notified prior to the carcass contest meeting. Premiums for the carcass contest will be paid as follows: first place - $170 and trophy; second place, $160; third place, $150; fourth place, $140; fifth place, $130; sixth place, $120; seventh place, $110; eighth place, $100; ninth place, $90; tenth place, $80; 11th place, $70; 12th place, $60; 13th place, $50; 14th place, $40; 15th place, $30
13. Fitting and Showmanship Contest:
a. Open to all FFA and 4-H beef exhibitors at the county fair.
b. There will be three classes: 3rd - 5th grade, 6th-8th grade & 9th -12th grade as of January 1 of current year.
c. Fitting equipment will be furnished by the exhibitor if the judge requests exhibitors to fit their animal.
d. Awards: 1st - Trophy & $15, 2nd - $14, 3rd - $13, 4th - $12, 5th - $11, 6th - $10.
16. Beef Display Contest:
a. A trophy will be presented to the best display.
b. The displays can be done by an individual, family, club or chapter.
c. The display will be judged on cleanliness of the pens, organization of materials and overall effect of the display.
d. The displays must be finished by noon on Thursday.
*Participants planning to use stock blowers are strongly encouraged to bring their own generator.